Friday, August 26, 2011

ebook2mail.com

ebook2mail.com


Robin Hood (61 of 79)

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 09:31 PM PDT

DailyLit  
61
—of —
79
Robin Hood
by J. Walker Mcspadden
A Message from DailyLit
Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit

SHARING
We encourage sharing--forward to a friend!


Chapter XVIII: How the Bishop Went Outlaw-Hunting (Cont'd)

"O hold your hand! hold your hand!" panted the supposed woman. "'Tis I, Robin Hood. Summon the yeomen and return with me speedily. We have still another score to settle with my lord of Hereford."

When Little John could catch his breath from laughing, he winded his horn.

"Now, mistress Robin," quoth he, grinning. "Lead on! We'll be close to your heels."

Meanwhile, back at the widow's cottage the Bishop was growing more furious every moment. For all his bold words, he dared not fire the house, and the sturdy door had thus far resisted all his men's efforts.

"Break it down! Break it down!" he shouted, "and let me soon see who will fetch out that traitor, Robin Hood!"

At last the door crashed in and the men stood guard on the threshold. But not one dared enter for fear a sharp arrow should meet him halfway.

"Here he is!" cried one keen-eyed fellow, peering in. "I see him in the corner by the cupboard. Shall we slay him with our pikes?"

"Nay," said the Bishop, "take him alive if you can. We'll make the biggest public hanging of this that the shire ever beheld."

But the joy of the Bishop over his capture was short lived. Down the road came striding the shabby figure of the old woman who had helped him set the trap; and very wrathy was she when she saw that the cottage door had been battered in.

"Stand by, you lazy rascals!" she called to the soldiers. "May all the devils catch ye for hurting an old woman's hut. Stand by, I say!"

"Hold your tongue!" ordered the Bishop. "These are my men and carrying out my orders."

"God-mercy!" swore the beldame harshly. "Things have come to a pretty pass when our homes may be treated like common gaols. Couldn't all your men catch one poor forester without this ado? Come! clear out, you and your robber, on the instant, or I'll curse every mother's son of ye, eating and drinking and sleeping!"

"Seize on the hag!" shouted the Bishop, as soon as he could get in a word. "We'll see about a witch's cursing. Back to town she shall go, alongside of Robin Hood."

"Not so fast, your worship!" she retorted, clapping her hands.

And at the signal a goodly array of greenwood men sprang forth from all sides of the cottage, with bows drawn back threateningly. The Bishop saw that his men were trapped again, for they dared not stir. Nathless, he determined to make a fight for it.

"If one of you but budge an inch toward me, you rascals," he cried, "it shall sound the death of your master, Robin Hood! My men have him here under their pikes, and I shall command them to kill him without mercy."

"Faith, I should like to see the Robin you have caught," said a clear voice from under the widow's cape; and the outlaw chief stood forth with bared head, smilingly. "Here am I, my lord, in no wise imperiled by your men's fierce pikes. So let us see whom you have been guarding so well."

The old woman who, in the garb of Robin Hood, had been lying quiet in the cottage through all the uproar, jumped up nimbly at this. In the bald absurdity of her disguise she came to the doorway and bowed to the Bishop.

"Give you good-den, my lord Bishop," she piped in a shrill voice; "and what does your Grace at my humble door? Do you come to bless me and give me alms?"

"Aye, that does he," answered Robin. "We shall see if his saddle-bags contain enough to pay you for that battered door."

"Now by all the saints—" began the Bishop.

"Take care; they are all watching you," interrupted Robin; "so name them not upon your unchurchly lips. But I will trouble you to hand over that purse of gold you had saved to pay for my head."

"I'll see you hanged first!" raged the Bishop, stating no more than what would have been so, if he could do the ordering of things. "Have at them, my men, and hew them down in their tracks!"

"Hold!" retorted Robin. "See how we have you at our mercy." And aiming a sudden shaft he shot so close to the Bishop's head that it carried away both his hat and the skull-cap which he always wore, leaving him quite bald.

The prelate turned as white as his shiny head and clutched wildly at his ears. He thought himself dead almost.

"Help! Murder!" he gasped. "Do not shoot again! Here's your purse of gold!"

And without waiting for further parley he fairly bolted down the road.

His men being left leaderless had nothing for it but to retreat after him, which they did in sullen order, covered by the bows of the yeomen. And thus ended the Bishop of Hereford's great outlaw-hunt in the forest.




A Message from DailyLit
Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit
Message from DailyLit
Question of the Week: Which book title best describes you? Click here to share.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    Paranoia (061 of 170)

    Posted: 25 Aug 2011 09:30 PM PDT

    DailyLit  
    061
    —of —
    170
    Paranoia
    by Joseph Finder
    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia

    COPYRIGHT
    Paranoia by Joseph Finder. Copyright 2004 by Joseph Finder.
    All Rights Reserved. Sharing not permitted.


    Part Three: 31 (Cont'd)

    Slowly I extricated myself from my contortionist's position, moved noiselessly toward the door of the closet. There I stood for a few moments, listening intently. I couldn't hear a sound. It seemed a safe bet that they'd gone—they'd put out the fire, satisfied themselves that there hadn't been a break-in after all. Human beings, especially security guards who must on some level resent all those computers that have all but put them out of a job, don't trust machines anyway. They'd be quick to blame it on some alarm-system glitch. Maybe, if I were really lucky, no one would wonder why the intrusion-detection alarm had gone off before the smoke alarm had.

    Then I took a breath and slowly opened the door.

    I looked to either side and straight ahead, and the area seemed to be empty. No one there. I took a few steps, paused, looked around again.

    No one.

    The place smelled pretty strongly of smoke, and also some kind of chemical, probably from the fire extinguisher stuff.

    Quietly, I made my way along the wall, away from any outside windows or glass-paneled doors, until I reached one of the sets of exit doors. Not the main reception doors, and not the rear stairwell doors through which the security guys had entered.

    And they were locked.

    Still locked.

    Christ, no.

    They hadn't deactivated the auto-lock. Moving a little more quickly now, the adrenaline surging again, I went to the reception-area doors and pushed against the crash bars, and those too were locked.

    I was still locked inside.

    Now what?

    I had no choice. There was no way to unlock the doors from inside, at least no way that I'd been taught. And I couldn't exactly call Security for help, especially not after what had just happened.

    No. I'd just have to stay inside here until someone let me out. Which might not be until the morning, when the cleaning crew came in. Or worse, when the first HR staff arrived. And then I'd have some serious explaining to do.

    I was also exhausted. I found a cubicle far from any door or window, and sat down. I was totally fried. I needed sleep badly. So I folded my arms and, like a frazzled student at the college library, passed right out.




    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia
    Message from DailyLit
    Question of the Week: Which book title best describes you? Click here to share.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment