Saturday, August 13, 2011

ebook2mail.com

ebook2mail.com


Robin Hood (48 of 79)

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 09:30 PM PDT

DailyLit  
48
—of —
79
Robin Hood
by J. Walker Mcspadden
A Message from DailyLit
Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit

SHARING
We encourage sharing--forward to a friend!


Chapter XIV: How Robin Hood Was Sought of the Tinker (Cont'd)

He had not gone above a quarter of a mile when he met a young man with curling brown hair and merry eyes. The young man carried his light cloak over his arm, because of the heat, and was unarmed save for a light sword at his side. The newcomer eyed the perspiring tinker in a friendly way, and seeing he was a stout fellow accosted him.

"Good-day to you!" said he.

"Good-day to you!" said the tinker; "and a morrow less heating."

"Aye," laughed the other. "Whence come you? And know you the news?"

"What is the news?" said the gossipy tinker, pricking up his ear; "I am a tinker by trade, Middle by name, and come from over against Banbury."

"Why as for the news," laughed the stranger, "I hear that two tinkers were set i' the stocks for drinking too much ale and beer."

"If that be all your news," retorted Middle, "I can beat you clear to the end of the lane."

"What news have you? Seeing that you go from town to town, I ween you can outdo a poor country yokel at tidings."

"All I have to tell," said the other, "is that I am especially commissioned"—he felt mightily proud of these big words—"especially commissioned to seek a bold outlaw which they call Robin Hood."

"So?" said the other arching his brows. "How 'especially commissioned'?"

"I have a warrant from the Sheriff, sealed with the King's own seal, to take him where I can; and if you can tell me where he is, I will e'en make a man of you."

"Let me see the warrant," said the other, "to satisfy myself if it be right; and I will do the best I can to bring him to you."

"That will I not," replied the tinker; "I will trust none with it. And if you'll not help me to come at him I must forsooth catch him by myself."

And he made his crab-tree-staff whistle shrill circles in the air.

The other smiled at the tinker's simplicity, and said:

"The middle of the road on a hot July day is not a good place to talk things over. Now if you're the man for me and I'm the man for you, let's go back to the inn, just beyond the bend of road, and quench our thirst and cool our heads for thinking."

"Marry come up!" quoth the tinker. "That will I! For though I've just come from there, my thirst rises mightily at the sound of your voice."

So back he turned with the stranger and proceeded to the "Seven Does."

The landlord arched his eyebrows silently when he saw the two come in, but served them willingly.

The tinker asked for wine, and Robin for ale. The wine was not the most cooling drink in the cellar, nor the clearest headed. Nathless, the tinker asked for it, since it was expensive and the other man had invited him to drink. They lingered long over their cups, Master Middle emptying one after another while the stranger expounded at great length on the best plans for coming at and capturing Robin Hood.

In the end the tinker fell sound asleep while in the act of trying to get a tankard to his lips. Then the stranger deftly opened the snoring man's pouch, took out the warrant, read it, and put it in his own wallet. Calling mine host to him, he winked at him with a half smile and told him that the tinker would pay the whole score when he awoke. Thus was Master Middle left in the lurch "for the great shot to pay."

Nathless, the stranger seemed in no great hurry. He had the whim to stay awhile and see what the droll tinker might do when he awoke. So he hid behind a window shutter, on the outside, and awaited events.

Presently the tinker came to himself with a prodigious yawn, and reached at once for another drink.




A Message from DailyLit
Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit
Message from DailyLit
Share the DailyLit experience. Click here to invite friends to read with you.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    Paranoia (048 of 170)

    Posted: 12 Aug 2011 09:30 PM PDT

    DailyLit  
    048
    —of —
    170
    Paranoia
    by Joseph Finder
    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia

    COPYRIGHT
    Paranoia by Joseph Finder. Copyright 2004 by Joseph Finder.
    All Rights Reserved. Sharing not permitted.


    Part Three: 24 (Cont'd)

    I gave him the CD of all recent Trion hires I'd downloaded from the Web site, and a couple of sheets of paper, covered with typed notes. While he was reading through my notes, the Japanese woman came back with another tray and began to set before Wyatt an array of tiny, perfect, sculptural pieces of sushi and sashimi on lacquered mahogany boxes, with little mounds of white rice and pale-green wasabi and pink slices of pickled ginger. Wyatt didn't look up; he was too absorbed in the notes I'd brought him. After a few minutes he picked up a small black phone on the table, which I hadn't noticed before, and said something in a low voice. I thought I heard the word "fax."

    Finally he looked at me. "Good job," he said. "Very interesting."

    Another woman appeared, a prim middle-aged woman, lined face, gray hair, reading glasses on a chain around her neck. She smiled, took the sheaf of papers from him, left without saying a word. Did he keep a secretary on call all night?

    Wyatt picked up a pair of chopsticks and lifted a morsel of raw fish to his mouth, chewed thoughtfully while he stared at me. "Do you understand the superiority of the Japanese diet?" he said.

    I shrugged. "I like tempura and stuff."

    He scoffed, shook his head. "I'm not talking about tempura. Why do you think Japan leads the world in life expectancy? A low-fat, high-protein diet, rich in plant foods, high in antioxidants. They eat forty times more soy than we do. For centuries they refused to eat four-legged creatures."

    "Okay," I said, thinking: And your point is ...?

    He took another mouthful of fish. "You really ought to get serious about enhancing the quality of your life. You're, what, twenty-five?"

    "Twenty-six."

    "You've got decades ahead of you. Take care of your body. The smoking, the drinking, the Big Macs and all that crap—that shit's got to stop. I sleep three hours a night. Don't need more than that. Are you having fun, Adam?"

    "No."

    "Good. You're not there to have fun. Are you comfortable at Trion in your new role?"

    "I'm learning the ins and outs. My boss is a serious bitch—"

    "I'm not talking about your cover. I'm talking about your real job—the penetration."

    "Comfortable? No, not yet."

    "It's pretty high-stakes. I feel your pain. You still see your old friends?"

    "Sure."

    "I don't expect you to dump them. That might raise suspicions. But you better make goddamned sure you keep your mouth shut, or you'll be in a world of shit."

    "Understood."

    "I assume I don't need to remind you of the consequences of failure."

    "I don't need to be reminded."

    "Good. Your job's difficult, but failure is far worse."

    "Actually, I sort of like being at Trion." I was being truthful, but I also knew he'd take it as a jab.

    He looked up, smirked as he chewed. "I'm delighted to hear that."

    "My team is making a presentation before Augustine Goddard pretty soon."

    "Good old Jock Goddard, huh? Well, you'll see quickly he's a pretentious, sententious old gasbag. I think he actually believes all the ass-kissing profiles, that 'conscience of high-tech' bullshit you always see in Fortune. Really believes his shit doesn't stink."

    I nodded; what was I supposed to say? I didn't know Goddard, so I couldn't agree or disagree, but Wyatt's envy was pretty transparent.

    "When are you presenting to the old fart?"

    "Couple weeks."

    "Maybe I can be of some assistance."

    "I'll take whatever help I can get."

    The phone rang, and he picked it right up. "Yes?" He listened for a minute. "All right," he said, then hung up. "You hit something. In a week or two you'll be receiving a complete backgrounder on this Alana Jennings."

    "Sure, like I got on Lundgren and Sommers."

    "No, this is of another magnitude of detail."

    "Why?"

    "Because you'll want to follow up. She's your way in. And now that you have a code name, I want the names of everyone connected in any way with AURORA. Everyone, from project director all the way down to janitor."

    "How?" As soon as I said it, I regretted it.

    "Figure it out. That's your job, man. And I want it tomorrow."

    "Tomorrow?"

    "That's right."

    "All right," I said, with just a little defiance creeping into my voice. "But then you'll have what you need, right? And we'll be done."

    "Oh, no," he said. He smiled, flashing his big white chompers. "This is only the beginning, guy. We've barely scratched the surface."




    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia
    Message from DailyLit
    Question of the Week: What does your perfect day look like? Click here to share.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment