Wednesday, July 20, 2011

ebook2mail.com

ebook2mail.com


Poem-a-Day Collection (24)

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 09:30 AM PDT

DailyLit  
24
Poem-a-Day Collection
by Knopf
A Message from DailyLit
Question of the Week: What's your Proustian moment (i.e., is there a smell or taste that evokes a particular memory)? Click here to share.

COPYRIGHT
Poem-a-Day Collection by Knopf. Compilation copyright 2009 by Knopf.
All Rights Reserved. Sharing not permitted.


Impressions of Africa

By Kenneth Koch

The back roads, if there are back roads
Have gone to sleep
Daggers have coughs on them
And quoits have cures
And doors have racking heat
The sciences have beds with fevers.

1. MADAGASCAR. SUBCONTINENT

In the Hôtel Colbert, pronounced Coal-Bear
In the bar
I saw a big, pretty girl who looked like Lisa
Behold a magazine a new life of women is about to appear
I sat at my chocolat writing
The sea-bird inviting
And the Lisa-looking girl didn't smile or even look
At me but soon she got out of there
And she went walking
Down the sidewalk-colored street not thinking of me
Lisa-looking girl, come back!
Give me or don't give me a little bit of ecstasy
Help me to find the answer
How long does life last?

The Acadé Malgache
Is nothing
Wearing my new pink suit
Is nothing
Wishing you were there
Is nothing
But nothing helps me out
It helps me to see the lemurs
In the pre- and post-restaurant air
And in the time before I slide around in fear
On the floor in a nightmare
Which didn't happen in fact
At the Hôtel Colbert.

Change my room!
The fourteen-year-old
Girl still a young
Flower not yet
Into the age
Of her race
And all characteristics
Mops the fields
With her hair
In long tresses are
They women, other, wear
Green and orange dresses
A man holding a rake
Something
To duel with a rice
Paddy? or other field.

Where will it all end?
In the Market, around this bend
As I go down, my feet go down with me
People are sitting lying standing end to end.

To be exploding, like a fiddle, outside of myself
I am thinking on yellow roads of Madagascar
I have been there
Like a bird on a shell
Or like the mountain coming down over that
Sun sea shelf
And like the chair yellow and pink and red
That exists only in the head
At the side of the seashell, in Madagascar

Which is not Africa, some say,
It breaks away from Africa, just in time
To preserve the lemurs
A few hours later
The lions came down
And the apes came down
From a bend at the top of Africa
Rushed there by the climate
Knowing it can't last
Neither did Africa, Madagascar
Left it, storm of red,
Blue, yellow
And rice paddies
And villages with stone tombs left it
With Polynesians coming to it left it
And with the stone booths
And the climatic exchange.

The Earthly Paradise—"Wait till I get there!"
Once in Antananarivo, however, it seemed too far away
(Forty kilometers by sea) and to take too long to get there.
This island, drenched by perfume fragrances, boasts many cabanas,
With paradise—where? A woman in Paris
Told me about it. Ah!
You are going to my country! there you will
Find the paradise—an island
That smells so sweetly
They have the perfume-bearing trees that it is called
Paradise, or Perfume Island.
But in Gaboon, as in Zaire, they said when you get there
Communist-government-ruined, ah you are
Going to Madagascar! I had a fine, confused state
Of mind about this subcontinental island state
An East-Berlin gray broken-up boulevard mist
Ambiance, and le paradis terrestre.

Tanarive centrale, there is a lake
So choked with waterlilies
That you would not believe
It was not planned to be that way, to take
You by the throat by its sudden beauty—unexpected, boaty,
And plain—but then you can see
It's a little messed up and and goaty
Around the edges, after which it doesn't look the same
When you drive by it on your way to the intersections.

In varied patterns you see them they vary
And they are patterned
Of the crops in the fields
And the clothes of the men
And the women and children
In varying colors, patterns
The automobile running
It used to be a paradise
Flesh but with unusual graces and with a "soul."

Dixebat Julie—nom correcte? mot juste?
O Malagasy plumes! In the market so used
Sumptuousness! She said (did) words
Madagascar we feel thrown, we feel the thrown
Stone one out here in the sea (she)
(Didn't) (say it). I thought
It, while she was going around
And around helping me to buy jewelry, it was
Getting dark, in the market. Here is a good stone,
Says she, and a good price, too, I get on this one!

So much closer to me
By big civilization compared
To walkings of Brazza
And even than the poets there!
In a certain sense.
Old hotel—of innocence.
Gare Centrale—mammary of competence.
And nerves under the hat.

Hard to get out of the restaurant
Hard to stand up from the table and pay
Hard to move quickly enough
Through the arbiters gentlemen
Unthreatening who have rather
The mild excitingness which travel
Gives to the un-noteworthy like a gun.

--

Buy Kenneth Koch On The Edge from Amazon here.

Buy Kenneth Koch On The Edge from IndieBound here.

Visit poem-a-day.knopfdoubleday.com for more about this poem and to sign up for Knopf's 2010 Poem-a-Day email.

Excerpt from ON THE EDGE. Copyright © 2007 by The Kenneth Koch Literary Estate. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.




A Message from DailyLit
Question of the Week: What's your Proustian moment (i.e., is there a smell or taste that evokes a particular memory)? Click here to share.
Message from DailyLit
Question of the Week: What's your Proustian moment (i.e., is there a smell or taste that evokes a particular memory)? Click here to share.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    Paranoia (023 of 170)

    Posted: 19 Jul 2011 09:30 PM PDT

    DailyLit  
    023
    —of —
    170
    Paranoia
    by Joseph Finder
    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia

    COPYRIGHT
    Paranoia by Joseph Finder. Copyright 2004 by Joseph Finder.
    All Rights Reserved. Sharing not permitted.


    11

    I got the news from Nick Wyatt himself. When I was shown into his office by Yvette, I found him on his Precor elliptical trainer in a corner of his office. He was wearing a sweat-soaked tank top and red gym shorts and looked buff. I wondered if he did steroids. He had a wireless phone headset on and was barking orders.

    More than a week had gone by since the Trion interviews, and nothing but radio silence. I knew they'd gone well, and I had no doubt that my references were spectacular, but who knows, anything could happen.

    I figured, wrongly, that once I'd done my interviews I'd be given time off from KGB school, but no such luck. The training went on, including what they called "tradecraft"—how to steal stuff without getting caught, copy documents and computer files, how to search the Trion databases, how to contact them if something came up that couldn't wait for a scheduled rendezvous. Meacham and another veteran of Wyatt's corporate security staff, who'd spent two decades in the FBI, taught me how to contact them by e-mail, using an "anonymizer," a remailer based in Finland that buries your real name and address; how to encrypt my e-mail with this super-strong 1,024-bit software developed, against U.S. law, somewhere offshore. They taught me about traditional spy stuff like dead drops and signals, how to let them know I had documents to pass to them. They taught me how to make copies of the ID badges most corporations use these days, the ones that unlock a door when you wave them at a sensor. Some of this stuff was pretty cool. I was beginning to feel like a real spy. At the time, anyway, I was into it. I didn't know any better.

    But after a few days of waiting and waiting for some word from Trion, I was scared shitless. Meacham and Wyatt had been pretty clear about what would happen if I didn't land the job.

    Nick Wyatt didn't even look at me.

    "Congratulations," he said. "I got the word from the headhunter. You just got parole."

    "I got an offer?"

    "A hundred seventy-five thousand to start, stock options, the whole deal. You're being hired in as an individual contributor at the manager level but without any direct reports, grade ten."

    I was relieved, and amazed by the amount. That was about three times what I was making now. Adding in my Wyatt salary took me to two hundred and thirty-five thousand. Jesus.

    "Sweet," I said. "Now what do we do, negotiate?"

    "The fuck you talking about? They interviewed eight other guys for the job. Who knows who's got a favorite candidate, a crony, whatever? Don't risk it, not yet. Get in the door, show 'em your stuff."

    "My stuff—"

    "Show 'em how amazing you are. You've already whetted their appetites with a few hors d'oeuvres. Now you blow 'em away. If you can't blow 'em away after graduating our little charm school here, and with me and Judith whispering in your ear, then you're an even bigger fucking loser than I thought."

    "Right." I realized I was mentally rehearsing this sick fantasy of telling Wyatt off as I walked out the door to go work for Trion, until I remembered that not only was Wyatt still my boss, he pretty much had me by the balls.

    Wyatt stepped off the machine, drenched with sweat, grabbed a white towel off the handlebars, and blotted his face, his arms, his armpits. He stood so close to me I could smell the musk of his perspiration, his sour breath. "Now, listen carefully," he said with an unmistakable note of menace. "About sixteen months ago Trion's board of directors approved an extraordinary expenditure of almost five hundred million dollars to fund some kind of skunkworks."

    "A what?"

    He snorted. "A top-secret in-house project. Anyway, it's highly unusual for a board to approve an expenditure that large without a lot of information. In this case they approved it blind, based solely on assurances from the CEO. Goddard's the founder, so they trust him. Also, he assured them the technology they were developing, whatever the hell it is, was a monumental breakthrough. I mean huge, paradigm-shifting, a quantum leap. Disruptive beyond disruptive. He assured them that it's the biggest thing since the transistor, and anyone who's not a part of this gets left behind."

    "What is it?"

    "If I knew, you wouldn't be here, idiot. My sources assure me that it's going to transform the telecommunications industry, turn everything upside down. And I don't intend to get left behind, you follow me?"

    I didn't, but I nodded.

    "I've invested far too much in this firm to let it go the way of the mastodon and the dodo. So your assignment, my friend, is to find out everything you can about this skunkworks, what it's up to, what they're developing. I don't care whether they're developing some fucking electronic pogo stick, point is, I'm not taking any chances. Clear?"

    "How?"

    "That's your job." He turned, walked across the vast expanse of office toward an exit I hadn't noticed before. He opened the door, revealing a gleaming marble bathroom with a shower. I stood there awkwardly, not sure whether I was supposed to wait for him, or leave, or what.

    "You'll get the call later on this morning," Wyatt said without turning around. "Act surprised."




    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia
    Message from DailyLit
    Question of the Week: What's your Proustian moment (i.e., is there a smell or taste that evokes a particular memory)? Click here to share.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    Robin Hood (23 of 79)

    Posted: 19 Jul 2011 09:30 PM PDT

    DailyLit  
    23
    —of —
    79
    Robin Hood
    by J. Walker Mcspadden
    A Message from DailyLit
    Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit

    SHARING
    We encourage sharing--forward to a friend!


    Chapter VII: How Robin Hood Met Friar Tuck (Cont'd)

    Lightly leaped Robin off his back, and said, "I am much beholden to you, good father."

    "Beholden, say you!" rejoined the other drawing his sword; "then by my faith you shall e'en repay your score. Now mine own affairs, which are of a spiritual kind and much more important than yours which are carnal, lie on the other side of this stream. I see that you are a likely man and one, moreover, who would not refuse to serve the church. I must therefore pray of you that whatsoever I have done unto you, you will do also unto me. In short, my son, you must e'en carry me back again."

    Courteously enough was this said; but so suddenly had the friar drawn his sword that Robin had no time to unsling his bow from his back, whither he had placed it to avoid getting it wet, or to unfasten his scabbard. So he was fain to temporize.

    "Nay, good father, but I shall get my feet wet," he commenced.

    "Are your feet any better than mine?" retorted the other. "I fear me now that I have already wetted myself so sadly as to lay in a store of rheumatic pains by way of penance."

    "I am not so strong as you," continued Robin; "that helmet and sword and buckler would be my undoing on the uncertain footing amidstream, to say nothing of your holy flesh and bones."

    "Then I will lighten up, somewhat," replied the other calmly. "Promise to carry me across and I will lay aside my war gear."

    "Agreed," said Robin; and the friar thereupon stripped himself; and Robin bent his stout back and took him up even as he had promised.

    Now the stones at the bottom of the stream were round and slippery, and the current swept along strongly, waist-deep, in the middle. More-over Robin had a heavier load than the other had borne, nor did he know the ford. So he went stumbling along now stepping into a deep hole, now stumbling over a boulder in a manner that threatened to unseat his rider or plunge them both clear under current. But the fat friar hung on and dug his heels into his steed's ribs in as gallant manner as if he were riding in a tournament; while as for poor Robin the sweat ran down him in torrents and he gasped like the winded horse he was. But at last he managed to stagger out on the bank and deposit his unwieldy load.

    No sooner had he set the friar down than he seized his own sword.

    "Now, holy friar," quoth he, panting and wiping the sweat from his brow, "what say the Scriptures that you quote so glibly?—Be not weary of well doing. You must carry me back again or I swear that I will make a cheese-cloth out of your jacket!"

    The friar's gray eyes once more twinkled with a cunning gleam that boded no good to Robin; but his voice was as calm and courteous as ever.

    "Your wits are keen, my son," he said; "and I see that the waters of the stream have not quenched your spirit. Once more will I bend my back to the oppressor and carry the weight of the haughty."

    So Robin mounted again in high glee, and carried his sword in his hand, and went prepared to tarry upon the other side. But while he was bethinking himself what great words to use, when he should arrive thither, he felt himself slipping from the friar's broad back. He clutched frantically to save himself but had too round a surface to grasp, besides being hampered by his weapon. So down went he with a loud splash into the middle of the stream, where the crafty friar had conveyed him.

    "There!" quoth the holy man; "choose you, choose you, my fine fellow, whether you will sink or swim!" And he gained his own bank without more ado, while Robin thrashed and spluttered about until he made shift to grasp a willow wand and thus haul himself ashore on the other side.

    Then Robin's rage waxed furious, despite his wetting, and he took his bow and his arrows and let fly one shaft after another at the worthy friar. But they rattled harmlessly off his steel buckler, while he laughed and minded them no more than if they had been hail-stones.

    "Shoot on, shoot on, good fellow," he sang out; "shoot as you have begun; if you shoot here a summer's day, your mark I will not shun!"

    So Robin shot, and passing well, till all his arrows were gone, when from very rage he began to revile him.

    "You bloody villain!" shouted he, "You psalm-singing hypocrite! You reviler of good hasty pudding! Come but within reach of my sword arm, and, friar or no friar, I'll shave your tonsure closer than ever bald-pated monk was shaven before!"

    "Soft you and fair!" said the friar unconcernedly; "hard words are cheap, and you may need your wind presently. An you would like a bout with swords, meet me halfway i' the stream."

    And with this speech the friar waded into the brook, sword in hand, where he was met halfway by the impetuous outlaw.

    Thereupon began a fierce and mighty battle. Up and down, in and out, back and forth they fought. The swords flashed in the rays of the declining sun and then met with a clash that would have shivered less sturdy weapons or disarmed less sturdy wielders. Many a smart blow was landed, but each perceived that the other wore an undercoat of linked mail which might not be pierced. Nathless, their ribs ached at the force of the blows. Once and again they paused by mutual consent and caught breath and looked hard each at the other; for never had either met so stout a fellow.




    A Message from DailyLit
    Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit
    Message from DailyLit
    Share the DailyLit experience. Click here to invite friends to read with you.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment