Sunday, July 3, 2011

ebook2mail.com

ebook2mail.com


Poem-a-Day Collection (7)

Posted: 03 Jul 2011 09:30 AM PDT

DailyLit  
7
Poem-a-Day Collection
by Knopf
A Message from DailyLit
Share the DailyLit experience. Click here to invite friends to read with you.

COPYRIGHT
Poem-a-Day Collection by Knopf. Compilation copyright 2009 by Knopf.
All Rights Reserved. Sharing not permitted.


A Summer Outing

by Du Fu

1

How nice to board the barge
as the sun meets the horizon

the breeze picks up
the water ripples

we sail past groves
of thick bamboo

and anchor in the cool
of water lilies

the young men mix
some icy drinks

the girls are slicing
lotus roots

but the clouds right overhead
grow black

rain makes me rush
my poem.

2

The shower wets the benches
we were sitting on

the wind blows hard
and rocks the boat

the southern girls'
red skirts drenched

the northern beauties
seem to have ruined their makeup

the mooring line
saws and cuts the willow

the barge's curtains are soaked
from breaking waves

our going home
will be wet and chilly

as if we were having autumn
right in the heart of summer.

--

Buy Du Fu Du Fu: A Life In Poetry from Amazon here.

Buy Du Fu Du Fu: A Life In Poetry from IndieBound here.

Visit poem-a-day.knopfdoubleday.com for more about this poem and to sign up for Knopf's 2010 Poem-a-Day email.

Excerpt from DU FU: A LIFE IN POETRY. Translation copyright © 2008 by David P. Young. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.




A Message from DailyLit
Share the DailyLit experience. Click here to invite friends to read with you.
Message from DailyLit
Share the DailyLit experience. Click here to invite friends to read with you.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    Google Alert - ebook download

    Posted: 02 Jul 2011 09:45 PM PDT

    News1 new result for ebook download
     
    For ebook devotees, reading is a whole new experience
    USA Today
    Bickers said that one of the things that attracted him to e-readers was the ability to download public-domain classics for free. "It's all stuff that you were meaning to read anyway. Now I have these electronic versions of Dickens that I cannot read ...
    See all stories on this topic »

    USA Today


    Tip: Use site restrict in your query to search within a site (site:nytimes.com or site:.edu). Learn more.

    Remove this alert.
    Create another alert.
    Manage your alerts.

    Robin Hood (06 of 79)

    Posted: 02 Jul 2011 09:30 PM PDT

    DailyLit  
    06
    —of —
    79
    Robin Hood
    by J. Walker Mcspadden
    A Message from DailyLit
    Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit

    SHARING
    We encourage sharing--forward to a friend!


    Chapter I: How Robin Hood Became an Outlaw (Cont'd)

    By the light of the camp-fire the band exchanged signs and passwords. They gave Robin Hood a horn upon which he was to blow to summon them. They swore, also, that while they might take money and goods from the unjust rich, they would aid and befriend the poor and the helpless; and that they would harm no woman, be she maid, wife, or widow. They swore all this with solemn oaths, while they feasted about the ruddy blaze, under the greenwood tree.

    And that is how Robin Hood became an outlaw.

    Chapter II: How Robin Hood Met Little John

    "O here is my hand," the stranger reply'd,
    "I'll serve you with all my whole heart.
    My name is John Little, a man of good mettle,
    Ne'er doubt me for I'll play my part."

    "His name shall be altered," quoth William Stutely,
    "And I will his godfather be:
    Prepare then a feast, and none of the least,
    For we will be merry," quoth he.

    All that summer Robin Hood and his merry men roamed in Sherwood Forest, and the fame of their deeds ran abroad in the land. The Sheriff of Nottingham waxed wroth at the report, but all his traps and excursions failed to catch the outlaws. The poor people began by fearing them, but when they found that the men in Lincoln green who answered Robin Hood's horn meant them no harm, but despoiled the oppressor to relieve the oppressed, they 'gan to have great liking for them. And the band increased by other stout hearts till by the end of the summer fourscore good men and true had sworn fealty.

    But the days of quiet which came on grew irksome to Robin's adventurous spirit. Up rose he, one gay morn, and slung his quiver over his shoulders.

    "This fresh breeze stirs the blood, my lads," quoth he, "and I would be seeing what the gay world looks like in the direction of Nottingham town. But tarry ye behind in the borders of the forest, within earshot of my bugle call."

    Thus saying he strode merrily forward to the edge of the wood, and paused there a moment, his agile form erect, his brown locks flowing and his brown eyes watching the road; and a goodly sight he made, as the wind blew the ruddy color into his cheeks.

    The highway led clear in the direction of the town, and thither he boldly directed his steps. But at a bend in the road he knew of a by-path leading across a brook which made the way nearer and less open, into which he turned. As he approached the stream he saw that it had become swollen by recent rains into quite a pretty torrent. The log foot-bridge was still there, but at this end of it a puddle intervened which could be crossed only with a leap, if you would not get your feet wet.

    But Robin cared little for such a handicap. Taking a running start, his nimble legs carried him easily over and balanced neatly upon the end of the broad log. But he was no sooner started across than he saw a tall stranger coming from the other side. Thereupon Robin quickened his pace, and the stranger did likewise, each thinking to cross first. Midway they met, and neither would yield an inch.

    "Give way, fellow!" roared Robin, whose leadership of a band, I am afraid, had not tended to mend his manners.

    The stranger smiled. He was almost a head taller than the other.

    "Nay," he retorted, "fair and softly! I give way only to a better man than myself."

    "Give way, I say", repeated Robin, "or I shall have to show you a better man."

    His opponent budged not an inch, but laughed loudly. "Now by my halidom!" he said good-naturedly, "I would not move after hearing that speech, even if minded to it before; for this better man I have sought my life long. Therefore show him to me, an it please you."

    "That will I right soon," quoth Robin. "Stay you here a little while, till I cut me a cudgel like unto that you have been twiddling in your fingers." So saying he sought his own bank again with a leap, laid aside his long bow and arrows, and cut him a stout staff of oak, straight, knotless, and a good six feet in length. But still it was a full foot shorter than his opponent's. Then back came he boldly.




    A Message from DailyLit
    Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit
    Message from DailyLit
    Question of the Week: Describe (in 50 words or fewer) a time in your life when you experienced independence. Click here to share.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    Paranoia (006 of 170)

    Posted: 02 Jul 2011 09:30 PM PDT

    DailyLit  
    006
    —of —
    170
    Paranoia
    by Joseph Finder
    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia

    COPYRIGHT
    Paranoia by Joseph Finder. Copyright 2004 by Joseph Finder.
    All Rights Reserved. Sharing not permitted.


    Part One: 3 (Cont'd)

    We were way beyond salvaging my job. I couldn't shake the image of that bunk at Marion Federal Penitentiary. I was scared shitless.

    So I'm not proud of what I had to do, but you see, I had no choice. Either I reached deep inside and spun my very best tale for this security creep, or I was going to be someone's prison bitch.

    I took a deep breath. "Look," I said, "I'm going to level with you."

    "About time."

    "Here's the thing. Jonesie—well, Jonesie has cancer."

    Meacham smirked and leaned back in his chair, like, Entertain me.

    I sighed, chewed the inside of my cheek like I was spilling something I really didn't want to. "Pancreatic cancer. Inoperable."

    Meacham stared at me, stonefaced.

    "He got the diagnosis three weeks ago. I mean, there's nothing they can do about it—the guy's dying. And so Jonesie, you know—well, you don't know him, but he's always putting on a brave front. He says to the oncologist, 'You mean I can stop flossing?' " I gave a sad smile. "That's Jonesie."

    The note-taking woman stopped for a moment, actually looked stricken, then went back to her notes.

    Meacham licked his lips. Was I getting to him? I couldn't really tell. I had to amp it up, really go for it.

    "There's no reason you should know any of this," I went on. "I mean, Jonesie's not exactly an important guy around here. He's not a VP or anything, he's just a loading dock guy. But he's important to me, because ..." I closed my eyes for a few seconds, inhaled deeply. "The thing is—I never wanted to tell anyone this, it was like our secret, but Jonesie's my father."

    Meacham's chair slowly came forward. Now he was paying attention.

    "Different last name and all—my mom changed my name to hers when she left him like twenty years ago, took me with her. I was a kid, I didn't know any better. But Dad, he ..." I bit my lower lip. I had tears in my eyes now. "He kept on supporting us, worked two, sometimes three jobs. Never asked for anything. Mom didn't want him to see me at all, but on Christmas ..." A sharp intake of breath, almost a hiccup. "Dad came by the house every Christmas, sometimes he'd ring the doorbell for an hour out in the freezing cold before Mom let him come in. Always had a present for me, some big expensive thing he couldn't afford. Later on, when Mom said she couldn't afford to send me to college, not on a nurse's salary, Dad started sending money. He—he said he wanted me to have the life he never had. Mom never gave him any respect, and she'd sort of poisoned me against him, you know? So I never even thanked the guy. I didn't even invite him to graduation, 'cause I knew Mom wouldn't feel comfortable with him around, but he showed up anyway, I saw him sort of hanging around, wearing some ugly old suit—I never saw him wear a suit or a tie before, he must have got it at the Salvation Army, because he really wanted to see me graduate from college, and he didn't want to embarrass me."

    Meacham's eyes actually seemed to be getting moist. The woman had stopped taking notes, and was just watching me, blinking back tears.

    I was on a roll. Meacham deserved my best, and he was getting it. "When I started working here at Wyatt, I never expected to find Dad working on the fucking loading dock. It was like the greatest accident. Mom died a couple of years ago, and here I am, connecting up with my father, this sweet wonderful guy who never ever asked anything from me, never demanded anything, working his fucking fingers to the bone, supporting a goddamned ungrateful son he never got to see. It's like fate, you know? And then when he gets this news, he's got inoperable pancreatic cancer, and he starts talking about killing himself before the cancer gets him, I mean ..."




    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia
    Message from DailyLit
    Question of the Week: Describe (in 50 words or fewer) a time in your life when you experienced independence. Click here to share.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment