Tuesday, September 6, 2011

ebook2mail.com

ebook2mail.com


Robin Hood (72 of 79)

Posted: 05 Sep 2011 09:30 PM PDT

DailyLit  
72
—of —
79
Robin Hood
by J. Walker Mcspadden
A Message from DailyLit
Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit

SHARING
We encourage sharing--forward to a friend!


Chapter XXII: How King Richard Came to Sherwood Forest (Cont'd)

In the morning Friar Tuck awoke disposed to be surly, but was speedily mollified by the sight of the Black Knight, who had already risen gay as a lark, washed his face and hands, and was now stirring a hot gruel over the fire.

"By my faith, I make a sorry host!" cried Tuck springing to his feet. And later as they sat at breakfast, he added, "I want not your gold, of which you spoke last night; but instead I will do what I can to speed you on your way whenever you wish to depart."

"Then tell me," said the knight, "how I may find Robin Hood the outlaw; for I have a message to him from the King. All day yesterday I sought him, but found him not."

Friar Tuck lifted up his hands in holy horror. "I am a lover of peace, Sir Knight, and do not consort with Robin's bold fellows."

"Nay, I think no harm of Master Hood," said the knight; "but much I yearn to have speed with him in mine own person."

"If that be all, mayhap I can guide you to his haunts," said Tuck, who foresaw in this knight a possible gold-bag for Robin. "In sooth, I could not well live in these woods without hearing somewhat of the outlaws; but matters of religion are my chief joy and occupation."

"I will go with you, brother," said the Black Knight.

So without more ado they went their way into the forest, the knight riding upon his charger, and Tuck pacing along demurely by his side.

The day had dawned clear and bright, and now with the sun a good three hours high a sweet autumn fragrance was in the air. The wind had just that touch of coolness in it which sets the hunter's blood to tingling; and every creature of nature seemed bounding with joyous life.

The knight sniffed the fresh air in delight.

"By my halidom!" quoth he; "but the good greenwood is the best place to live in, after all! What court or capital can equal this, for full-blooded men?"

"None of this earth," replied Tuck smilingly. And once more his heart warmed toward the courteous stranger.

They had not proceeded more than three or four miles along the way from Fountain Abbey to Barnesdale, when of a sudden the bushes just ahead of them parted and a well-knit man with curling brown hair stepped into the road and laid his hand upon the knight's bridle.

It was Robin Hood. He had seen Friar Tuck, a little way back, and shrewdly suspected his plan. Tuck, however, feigned not to know him at all.

"Hold!" cried Robin; "I am in charge of the highway this day, and must exact an accounting from all passersby."

"Who is it bids me hold?" asked the knight quietly. "I am not i' the habit of yielding to one man."

"Then here are others to keep me company," said Robin clapping his hands. And instantly a half-score other stalwart fellows came out of the bushes and stood beside him.

"We be yeomen of the forest, Sir Knight," continued Robin, "and live under the greenwood tree. We have no means of support—thanks to the tyranny of our over-lords—other than the aid which fat churchmen and goodly knights like yourselves can give. And as ye have churches and rents, both, and gold in great plenty, we beseech ye for Saint Charity to give us some of your spending."

"I am but a poor monk, good sir!" said Friar Tuck in a whining voice, "and am on my way to the shrine of Saint Dunstan, if your worshipfulness will permit."

"Tarry a space with us," answered Robin, biting back a smile, "and we will speed you on your way."

The Black Knight now spoke again. "But we are messengers of the King," quoth he; "His Majesty himself tarries near here and would have speech with Robin Hood."

"God save the King!" said Robin, doffing his cap loyally; "and all that wish him well! I am Robin Hood, but I say cursed be the man who denies our liege King's sovereignty!"

"Have a care!" said the knight, "or you shall curse yourself!"

"Nay, not so," replied Robin curtly; "the King has no more devoted subject than I. Nor have I despoiled aught of his save, mayhap, a few deer for my hunger. My chief war is against the clergy and barons of the land who bear down upon the poor. But I am glad," he continued, "that I have met you here; and before we end you shall be my friend and taste of our greenwood cheer."

"But what is the reckoning?" asked the knight. "For I am told that some of your feasts are costly."

"Nay," responded Robin waving his hands, "you are from the King. Nathless—how much money is in your purse?"

"I have no more than forty gold pieces, seeing that I have lain a fortnight at Nottingham with the King, and have spent some goodly amounts upon other lordings," replied the knight.

Robin took the forty pounds and gravely counted it. One half he gave to his men and bade them drink the King's health with it. The other half he handed back to the knight.

"Sir," said he courteously, "have this for your spending. If you lie with kings and lordings overmuch, you are like to need it."

"Gramercy!" replied the other smiling. "And now lead on to your greenwood hostelry."

So Robin went on the one side of the knight's steed, and Friar Tuck on the other, and the men went before and behind till they came to the open glade before the caves of Barnesdale. Then Robin drew forth his bugle and winded the three signal blasts of the band. Soon there came a company of yeomen with its leader, and another, and a third, and a fourth, till there were sevenscore yeomen in sight. All were dressed in new livery of Lincoln green, and carried new bows in their hands and bright short swords at their belts. And every man bent his knee to Robin Hood ere taking his place before the board, which was already set.




A Message from DailyLit
Buy this book--or others--from Amazon and help support DailyLit
Message from DailyLit
Share the DailyLit experience. Click here to invite friends to read with you.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    Paranoia (072 of 170)

    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 09:30 PM PDT

    DailyLit  
    072
    —of —
    170
    Paranoia
    by Joseph Finder
    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia

    COPYRIGHT
    Paranoia by Joseph Finder. Copyright 2004 by Joseph Finder.
    All Rights Reserved. Sharing not permitted.


    Part Four: 35 (Cont'd)

    "Good to hear," I said. "I do think we're really missing the boat on technology and products for transmitting digital music and video over the Internet. We really should focus on R&D there, maybe partnering. Huge potential for revenue generation."

    "I think you're right."

    "And, forgive me for saying it, but I think it's sort of pathetic that we don't have a serious kid-targeted product line. Look at Sony—their PlayStation game console can make the difference between red ink and black ink some years. The demand for computers and home electronics seems to slump every couple of years, right? We're fighting electronics makers in South Korea and Taiwan, we're waging price wars over LCD monitors and digital video decks and cell phones—this is a fact of life. So we should be selling to kids—'cause children don't care about recessions. Sony's got their PlayStations, Microsoft's got its Xbox, Nintendo has GameCube, but what do we have for television video games? Diddly squat. It's a major weakness in a consumer-oriented product line."

    I'd noticed he was sitting upright again, looking at me with a cryptic smile on his crinkly face. "How would you feel about priming the retooling of the Maestro?"

    "Nora owns that. I wouldn't feel comfortable about it, frankly."

    "You'd report to her."

    "I'm not sure she'd like that."

    His grin got crooked. "She'd get over it. Nora knows what side her bread's buttered on."

    "Obviously I won't fight you on it, sir, but I think it might be bad for morale."

    "Well, then, how would you like to come work for me?"

    "Don't I already?"

    "I mean here, on the seventh floor. Special assistant to the chairman for new-product strategy. Dotted line responsibility to the Advanced Technology unit. I'd give you an office, just down the hall. But no bigger than mine, you understand. Interested?"

    I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I felt like bursting from excitement and nerves.

    "Well, sure. Reporting directly to you?"

    "That's right. So, do we have a deal?"

    I gave a slow smile. In for a penny, I thought, and all that. "I think more responsibility calls for more money, sir, don't you?"

    He laughed. "Oh, does it?"

    "I'd like the additional fifty thousand I should have asked for when I started here. And I'd like forty thousand more in stock options."

    He laughed again, a robust, almost Santa Claus–y ho-ho. "You've got balls, young man."

    "Thank you."

    "I'll tell you what. I'm not going to give you fifty thousand more. I don't believe in incrementalism. I'm going to double your salary. Plus your forty thousand options. That way you'll feel all sorts of pressure to bust your ass for me."

    To keep from gasping, I bit the inside of my lip. Jesus.

    "Where do you live?" he asked.

    I told him.

    He shook his head. "Not quite appropriate for someone of your level. Also, the hours you're going to be working, I don't want you driving forty-five minutes in the morning and another forty-five minutes at night. You're going to be working late nights, so I want you living close by. Why don't you get yourself one of those condos in the Harbor Suites? You can afford it now. We've got a lady who works with the Trion E-staff, specializes in corporate housing. She'll set you up with something nice."

    I swallowed. "Sounds okay," I said, trying to suppress the little nervous chuckle.

    "Now, I know you've said you're not a gearhead, but this Audi ... I'm sure it's perfectly nice, but why don't you get yourself something fun? I think a man should love his car. Give it a chance, why don't you? I mean, don't go overboard or anything, but something fun. Flo can make the arrangements."

    Was he saying they were going to give me a car? Good God.

    He stood up. "So, are you on board?" He stuck out his hand.

    I shook. "I'm not an idiot," I said good-naturedly.

    "No, that's obvious. Well, welcome to the team, Adam. I look forward to working with you."

    I stumbled out of his office and toward the bank of elevators, my head in a cloud. I could barely walk right.

    And then I caught myself, remembered why I was here, what my real job was—how I'd gotten here, into Goddard's office, even. I'd just been promoted way, way above my ability.

    Not that I even knew what my ability was anymore.




    A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
    Macmillan: Paranoia
    Message from DailyLit
    Question of the Week: Which book title best describes you? Click here to share.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment