Tuesday, November 15, 2011

ebook2mail.com

ebook2mail.com


DailyLit News: Series to Feast On

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 08:58 AM PST

DailyLit News: Series to Feast On

Contents

Note from the Founder

Ever since starting DailyLit, I've wanted to launch The Intellectual Devotional on DailyLit. If you're not familiar with The Intellectual Devotional, it's a bestselling book which features daily lessons from literature, history, visual arts, philosophy, religion, music, and math/science. Now, after much author-hounding, negotiation and patience, I'm thrilled to announce a DailyLit version.

It was only recently, since the death of Steve Jobs a month or so ago, that I knew I wanted to launch a series to commemorate his extraordinary life by featuring his inspirational, thought-provoking words. I hope you'll enjoy The Wisdom of (Steve) Jobs.

With these new series to feast on, I'm reminded that Thanksgiving is right around the corner. To get you in the mood, I've launched a new creative challenge to invent your own imaginative dish for Thanksgiving.

Cheers -- to a happy, happy Thanksgiving!
-Susan

Susan Danziger
Founder and CEO, DailyLit
sdanziger@dailylit.com
Twitter:@susandanziger, @dailylit

The Intellectual Devotional

I love the way the author describes The Intellectual Devotional: "Millions of Americans keep bedside books of prayer and meditative reflection -- collections of daily passages to stimulate spiritual thought and advancement. The Intellectual Devotional is a secular version of the same -- a collection of daily lessons that will inspire and invigorate the reader. Each nugget of wisdom is drawn from one of seven fields of knowledge: History, Literature, Philosophy, Mathematics & Science, Religion, Visual Arts, and Music." And on DailyLit, the daily lessons can literally come on a daily basis. I'm thrilled to feature The Intellectual Devotional on DailyLit.

The Wisdom of (Steve) Jobs

Ever since the death of Steve Jobs, I knew I wanted to launch this series -- The Wisdom of (Steve) Jobs -- that features his words on life, design and Apple. Whether or not you believe he was a visionary or charismatic pioneer of the personal computer revolution (he was the co-founder, chairman and CEO of Apple), his words are moving, inspirational, and sometimes even shocking.

Creative Juices for Thanksgiving

Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, this month's creative challenge is to think up a dish for Thanksgiving (recipe and all if you like). Make it literary, make it funny, make it crazy -- it's up to you. Get your creative juices flowing (so to speak!) and add your dish here.

----
DailyLit is the leading publisher of serialized books in digital form. Selected the #1 Book Website by The Sunday Times, DailyLit has sent over 47 million book installments. DailyLit's books and series are all free and feature bestselling and award-winning titles. Installments can be read in fewer than 5 minutes wherever you receive email, including on any computer, Blackberry, tablet or iPhone.

Stop receiving DailyLit news.

Paranoia (145 of 170)

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 09:30 PM PST

DailyLit  
145
—of —
170
Paranoia
by Joseph Finder
A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
Macmillan: Paranoia

COPYRIGHT
Paranoia by Joseph Finder. Copyright 2004 by Joseph Finder.
All Rights Reserved. Sharing not permitted.


79

We sat in the waiting area outside his office, silent. My nerves were stretched to the breaking point. I called my office and asked Jocelyn to reschedule a couple of appointments.

Then I sat there for a few minutes, just thinking. "You know," I said, "the worst thing about it is, I gave Wyatt the keys so he could rob us blind. He's already derailed our big acquisition, and now he's going to fuck us over totally—and it's all my fault."

Seth stared at me for a long while. "Who's 'us'?"

"Trion."

He shook his head. "You're not Trion. You keep saying 'we' and 'us' when you talk about Trion."

"Slip of the tongue," I said.

"I don't think so. I want you to take a bar of whatever ten-dollar French-milled soap you use now and write on your bathroom mirror, 'I am not Trion, and Trion is not me.' "

"Enough," I said. "You're sounding like my dad now."

"Ever occur to you maybe your dad wasn't wrong about everything? Like a stopped clock's right twice a day, huh?"

"Fuck you."

Then the door opened and Howard Shapiro was standing there. "Sit down," he said.

I could tell from his face that things hadn't gone well. "What'd your buddy say?" I asked.

"My buddy got transferred to Main Justice. His replacement is a real prick."

"How bad?" I asked.

"He said, 'You know what, you take a plea and we'll see what happens.' "

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you take a guilty plea in chambers, and no one will know about it."

"I don't get it."

"If you give him a great case, he's willing to write you a great Five-K. A Five-K is a letter the prosecutor writes to the judge asking him to depart from the sentencing guidelines."

"Does the judge have to do what the prosecutor wants?"

"Of course not. Also, there's no guarantee this prick will really write you a decent Five-K. Be honest, I don't trust him."

"What's his definition of a 'great case'?" asked Seth.

"He wants Adam to make an introduction of an undercover."

"An undercover agent?" I said. "That's insane! Wyatt'll never go for it. He won't meet with anyone but me. He's not an idiot."

"What about wearing a wire?" Seth asked. "Would he agree to that?"

"I won't agree to that," I said. "I get scanned for electronic devices every time I'm in Wyatt's presence. I'd get caught for sure."

"That's all right," said Shapiro. "Our friend in the U.S. Attorney's office won't agree to it anyway. The only way he'll play ball is if you introduce an undercover."

"I won't do it," I said. "He'll never go for it. And what guarantee is there that I won't get jail time even if I do?"

"None," Shapiro admitted. "No federal prosecutor is going to give you a one-hundred-percent promise that a judge'll give you probation. The judge may not go for it. But whatever you decide, he's giving you seventy-two hours to make up your mind."

"Or what?"

"Or the chips fall where they may. He'll never give you queen for a day if you don't play by his rules. Look, they don't trust you. They don't think you can do this on your own. And face it, it's their ball."

"I don't need seventy-two hours," I said. "I've already decided. I'm not playing."

Shapiro looked at me strangely. "You're going to keep working for Wyatt?"

"No," I said. "I'm going to handle this my own way."

Now Shapiro smiled. "How so?"

"I want to set my own terms."

"How so?" Shapiro said.

"Let's say I get some really concrete evidence against Wyatt," I said. "Serious, hard-core proof of his criminality. Could we take that directly to the FBI and make a better deal?"

"Theoretically, sure."

"Good," I said. "I think I want to do this myself. The only one who's going to get me out of this is me."

Seth half-smiled, reached out and put a hand on my shoulder. " 'Me' meaning 'me,' or 'me' meaning 'we'?"




A Message from our Sponsor: Macmillan | Become a Sponsor right arrow
Macmillan: Paranoia
Message from DailyLit
Question of the Week: Can you think up a dish for Thanksgiving? Use your imagination (make it literary, imaginative or just plain crazy) and let your creative juices flow! Click here to share your dish.
  • Want more? Get the next installment right now.
  • Ideas or questions? Discuss in our forums
  • Need a break? Suspend delivery of this book.
  • Want to adjust your reading schedule or make other changes? Manage all your settings.
  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment